Monday, February 22, 2010

Toffee Crunchers Cookies

I noticed this cookie recipe from the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion Cookbook a while ago but I was in a hurry at the time and the one thing that kept me from making it then was the fact that there wasn't an egg in the recipe. Now, sure, I know, tons of cookie recipes don't include eggs, but not this kind of cookie recipe. So. that's why I put off making them til today.

I reread the recipe again, reading the directions also but didn't find any egg listed or used so I called King Arthur Flour in Vermont to ask..what's up with this recipe? And, sure enough, it was a typo! So, if you ever decide to make the Toffee Crunchers from their book, page 263, to be exact, remember to add one egg! Or just go with my recipe below.

The original recipe called for light brown sugar, but I only had dark brown so I used that instead. I don't know what difference it made..and I won't know til I make them again using light brown, but I don't think it changed the recipe that much.

What I liked about the cookie was that it has a wonderful toffee flavor and it's not too sweet, since there's no white sugar used. And it's rich, buttery and chewy and the potato chips add a little salty crunch. I used a small cookie scoop to form them and they came out about 3" across. The recipe also said to space 2 1/2" apart on the sheet because they spread, but I didn't find that they spread much at all. I think next time I make them, I'll make them bigger, using the large cookie scoop.
It's an easy recipe, too.
Just cream the first 6 ingredients in a mixer bowl.
Then add the egg and the flour.
I crushed the potato chips in a zip lock bag.

And added the crushed potato chips, cornflakes ( which I just crunched in my hands as I added) and toffee bits.
Then stir all the add in's into the dough ( I used my paddle. I tried mixing by hand but the dough was too stiff).
Scoop out using a cookie scoop or just a tablespoon and ...

Place on parchment lined baking sheets.


Mine didn't spread as much as the recipe said they would.

Toffee Crunchers ( adapted from The King Arthur Cookie Companion Cookbook)
Makes 4 1/2 dozen ( I found didn't make that much. More like 45 - 48)

1 cup ( 2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups unbleached AP flour
2 cups lightly crushed plain salted potato chips
2 cups Rice Krispies ( I used cornflakes)
1 1/3 cups toffee bits
Preheat oven to 375 and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. In a large miing bowl, cream together butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder.
2. Mix in the egg, then the flour then gently stir in the add ins. ( I had to use the paddle attachment on my standing mixer again to mix til just combined).
3. Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto prepared sheet spacing about 2" apart.
4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. ( Mine only took 10 minutes.)** Update** I checked the texture of the cookies after a few hours and they seemed a little dryer than before, so I suggest baking 8 to 9 minutes for a chewier texture).
5. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on sheet. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
*Note:
You can substitute 2/3 cup butterscotch chips and 2/3 cup chopped pecans for the toffee bits.
You can substitute 2 cups gently crushed cornflakes for the rice cereal.




3 comments:

  1. I MUST Have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for checking to be sure about the recipe before you made it. These are a very nice recipe-it is good for you to share it. Joan @KAF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Joan, for noticing the recipe for these yummy cookies. My friend really loved them and took them all home!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails