Friday, February 11, 2011

Sables..Heart Shaped with Jam

I know I promised all things chocolate week here at The Cookie Scoop but when I saw and read this...I just couldn't help myself! Dorie Greenspan says this cookie came to her in a dream...we should all have such sweet dreams!

She's setting up her Cookiebar this week in NYC and for all of us who can't get there, this is the next best thing.

Buttery, flakey, crumbly, melt in your mouth goodness is how I can best describe this cookie.

I needed to alert cookie bakers about this cookie...it's that great...and more! I tell you the woman's a genius! And one of the best things about this cookie is watching someone eat it!

It's basically a French Butter Cookie or Sable ( prounounced SAH-blay). She calls it a Jammer. You've got to make it with the best butter you can find, preferably high fat like Plugra. Instead of posting her wonderful sable recipe here, you can find it here. She is really the best one to give you this recipe.

So sure, go ahead and make some chocolate treats this Valentine's Day...but don't forget so show that someone special how much you love them by baking up some of these, too!

I only had 4 heart shapes cutters in the house, so I had to use some other shapes. I do like the square shaped ones, and, of course, the round ones are more like Dorie's.

Make the dough, then divide it in half and shape each into a disc. Then wrap each disc and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
When you're ready, take the discs out and roll between 2 pieces of plastic wrap to about 3/8" thickness. Note that, before I realized I should be rolling out the dough, I took bits of dough and placed them into each cutter...duh...don't do that...roll it out!
Then take your cookie cutter shapes and cut out each shape and place it ( cutter with dough attached) onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Reroll the scraps, if necessary.


Scoop a small amount of jam, any flavor you like, but I chose Raspberry because of Valentine's Day, and plop the jam onto each cookie. Then sprinkle a little crumbled dough over the jam. And, yes, I ran out along the way so I just left this out on many and it was still amazing!
I was a little stingy with the crumbled dough bits so be a little more generous than I was.
If this process has taken awhile, pop them into the fridge to chill for about 10 minutes.
Bake for about 15 minutes, or til the edges are slightly browned.
Let them cool in the cutters for about 10 minutes, then coax them out carefully and cool completely.
It's hard to tell how many this recipe makes. It depends on the size of the cutters. You could prehaps get 2 to 3 dozen. Please make them!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails