Monday, April 11, 2011

Gluten Free Nutty Oatmeal Cookies

The weather's warming and the Farmer's Market season will be starting up soon..yeah!
I have begun to set up at a local flea market selling my cookies already and the one question, or rather, comment, I get alot is about gluten free cookies.

I came across this Nutty Oatmeal Cookie recipe and what I immediately liked about it was the ingredient list. I doesn't call for a lot of different kinds of flours that I don't have in the house, such as tapioca flour, millet flour or potato starch. I uses just the flour made from old fashioned oats, almonds and hazelnuts.

And I love that it's a quick recipe to throw together (provided you have a food processor).

I hope you'll read the story that goes along with this cookie recipe. I'd love to try some other recipes in the book sometime.

As for the cookies, they're crunchy and have a wonderful nutty flavor. The chocolate chips add just enough chocolate and even though I'm not gluten intolerant I'd make these cookies again...just for me us!

Combine the butter and sugars in the food processor and process 20 to 30 seconds...

Til the mixture is smooth.


Then add the egg and vanilla and process til well combined.


Stop the motor and add in the flour...

And baking powder.

Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the chocolate chips.


Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls or tablespoonfuls ( depending on what size cookie you'd like).
Bake about 15 minutes, or til the edges begin to brown.


Nutty Oatmeal Cookies ( from "Cookies for Breakfast: A Teen's Not So Bad Guide to Wheat and Gluten Free Baking", by Michael H. Perlman)
Makes 24 to 30 cookies

1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter, room temp.
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups oat flour*
1/2 cup hazelnut meal/flour*
1/2 cup almond meal/flour*
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
****************************
*To make flours: You'll need a food processor to make your own flours from the oats and nuts.
 Place the oats into the bowl of a food processor and pulse til the oats have a flour consistency.
Place the nuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse the nuts just til they have a fine consisitency. Don't overpulse. You don't want to make a paste!                  
Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

1. Combine butter and sugars in a food processor and pulse 20 to 30 seconds, til smooth.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and process til well blended.
3. Stop the motor and add the flours and baking powder and process to mix well.
4. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Drop by teaspoonfuls or tablespoonfuls spacing 2" apart.
6. Bake 15 minutes, or til the edges begin to get a light brown.
7. Cool on baking sheet 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. These look great, I have no reason to ever make a glutten free cookie, but if I'm going to do it, these definitely look like ones to try. Do you know approxiamtely the volume of oats and nuts required to make the specified amount of flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam,
    I would start with the amount needed, 1/2 cup for hazelnuts, for example. Then add a little more as needed. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails