Sunday, August 7, 2011

Peach Crumble Pie

Peach season is definitely upon us. There were loads of them at the farmer's market yesterday and I grabbed a basket of "seconds" that looked great to me. With all the peach pies I made last summer, I never got around to posting a recipe for a pie ( guess I was just too "peached out" !)

I did make this and this and this was great, too... have to make those again this year.

 But this is the first pie I've made this summer so I figured it's a good time to share the recipe.

I love a crumble topping on a fruit pie. It's all about the crunch with me and a crumble top gives a little crunch and a bit more interesting taste. So go grab some peaches and make a pie!

I made my crust the night before and placed it into the pie plate, wrapped well and put in the fridge to chill overnight.
Then just slice up your peaches and mix the other ingredients together and spoon it into your chilled pie shell.


The topping is easy to make.
Just combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, a pinch of salt and butter pieces and mix it together with a fork or your fingers.

Then sprinkle the topping over the peaches...


And bake the pie til it's nice and golden and bubbly.


Peach Crumble Pie

Makes one 9" pie

Filling:
8-10 peaches ( depending on size), peeled and sliced
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar ( I don't like a very sweet pie but if your peaches aren't very sweet you can increase this amount a little.)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch

 Crumble topping:
2/3 cup AP flour
4 tbsp. light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
4 tbsp. cold butter, cut into very small pieces

Unbaked pie crust for a single crust pie. I use this one every time.
*******************************************

 Make the crust ahead of time and place into pie plate. Chill in the fridge, wrapped in plastic wrap, for at least an hour or overnight.
Preheat oven to 450.

1. Prepare crumb topping by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside in fridge to chill while preparing the peaches.
2. In a large bowl, combine sliced peaches, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Stir to combine well.
3. Spoon the peaches into the unbaked pie shell, including all the liquid.
4. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the pie and place the pie onto a baking sheet ( just in case any liquid spills over) and bake the pie for 10 minutes on 450.
Then lower the oven temp. to 350 and continue to bake the pie for another 30 to 40 minutes, til it is bubbly and golden in color.
5. Allow the pie to rest at room temperature before cutting into it so the juices can settle.
Grab the vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and dig in!

3 comments:

  1. Well that's just peachy :) (sorry couldn't resist). Crumble toppings are great, personally I love to use oats in mine, I like the different texture it gives. And your crust looks fantastic (supremely jealous :)). 2009 was the first year I had ever had a peach pie. After years of watching crazy teenagers scarf them down on the original 90210, I finally got a chance to try. And yeah it was good :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally got a chance to try this recipe out, and it turned out pretty wonderful. My only issue was with my peaches, as some were a bit sour. But even still I wouldn't have touched the sugar content, that 1/4 cup was the perfect amount. My only real change was to add some nutmeg to the peaches (1/4 tsp). Next time I might blind bake the crust though, since it got a bit soggy. But after a night in the fridge it firmed up nicely (as well as the crumb topping, which was a little less crumbly at first :)). Thanks for the great recipe Susan :)(With my Aunt's help I finally managed to make a pie crust that didn't suck :)). Pie success 1 complete :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam, That's so great that you gave this recipe a try!
    I knew you could make that crust!
    I agree about the blind baking of the crust. I'd like to try that next time. If you beat me to it, let me know how it turns out.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails