Monday, October 31, 2011
Apple Walnut Cake
This snack cake is wonderfully moist, with a nice crunchy walnut topping. The original recipe was supposed to be made in a 9 x 13 pan but I knew that would be way too much for our small family so I halved it, which was way easy, and used an 8" square pan, and it turned out perfect. (The recipe I'm giving you, though, is for the full amount.)
It's an easy cake to throw together and it's great for breakfast or a late night snack!
2 cups ( 9 ozs.) AP flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. table salt
3 ozs. ( 6 tbsp.) unsalted butter, softened at room temp.
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temp.
3/4 cup smooth applesauce ( homemade or store bought)
1 cup sour cream
Walnut topping ( recipe below)
Preheat oven to 350. Butter the bottom and sides or a 9 x 13 baking pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and butter the parchment.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
2. Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed til combined ( but not fluffy). Scrape the bowl as needed.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating to combine and scraping the bowl.
4. Add one third of the flour mixture, mixing on medium low speed til combined.
5. Add the applesauce, mixing on medium low speed til incorporated.
6. Mix in another third of the flour mixture, then the sour cream, then the remaining flour mixture, scraping the bowl. Don't overmix. Just combine til incorporated.
7. Spread batter into your prepared pan and bake 15 minutes.
8. Make the walnut topping and place in the fridge.
9. Take the cake out of the oven and sprinkle with the topping, then place the cake back in the oven for another 30 minutes, or til a toothpick comes out clean ( Mine took a little less time but it depends on your oven).
10. Cool cake on wire rack for about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
1/2 cup ( one stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup ( 4.5 ozs.) AP flour
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
4 ozs. ( 1 cup) whole walnuts, coarsely chopped
Melt the butter, then pour into a medium bowl. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon and stir til blended. Add the flour, confectioners' sugar and walnuts, mixing with your fingers til well combined. The mixture should be crumbly but clump together. Refridgerate til ready to use.