Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Happy Pi Day!

Happy Pi Day! Well, I bet you would have thought I'd make a sweet pie rather than a savory one...but Chicken Pot Pie can be so delicious and this recipe from the Barefoot Contessa is just a great one.
The crust is light and flaky and the filling is rich and creamy...real comfort food!

I decided to have some fun decorating the crust so I cut out the "Pi" symbols with the left over dough and cut out the word "Pi".  It actually turned out so cute that we hated to dig in to it...but dig in we did and we managed to finish the entire pie.

I have to mention a few notes. I did halve the original recipe and still wound up with about one cup of filling left over and I even omitted the whole small onions. I used leftover chicken I had from the night before. Also, Ina's recipe was for 4 individual pies and I made one big one, using a glass pie dish.

So, here's hoping you have a great "Pi" Day! ( And Happy Birthday Einstein!)


This crust is really easy to make and so delicious...light and flaky. See those tiny bits of butter in the dough? That's what makes a great crust.



I almost left the pie like this...then I got the brilliant idea to add the "Pi" symbols.


Comfort food at its best.


If you're going to make a pie today...how about this one!

3 comments:

  1. I have never had a chicken pot pie, and often wonder if it's worth defrosting my pastry crusts in order to make one. Your images are making a really convincing argument. I wish it wasn't so warm right now, 'cause this seams like the perfect dish for a chilly night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam,
      It's definitely worth the defrost!
      It's unseasonably mild here, too with temps. going up to 70 degrees but it's always a good time for pot pies!

      Delete
  2. This looks great, as a chef myself I think that this will be very enjoyable to cook.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails