Here's a great idea...a kind of deconstruction of a pie, using the same ingredients, just in a different way.
First make your favorite pie crust ( recipe below), or divide the dough into 4 pieces ( for tart shells).
Roll out the dough, dock it ( poke holes in the dough using a toothpick or a fork) and throw it into the refridgerator or freezer.
Then once it's thoroughly chilled, cut out your shapes, such as rounds or squares or free form it and bake it til it's golden brown.
You can then make a delicious filling, such as the mascarpone one I made or even easier, just top with whipped cream and then the sliced peaches...Easy and so good!
Makes enough for 4 tartlette shells* or much more 4"rounds!
6.3 ozs. AP flour
3 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. lemon zest
3.5 ozs. unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. ice water
1. In a small bowl, rub together lemon zest and sugar with your fingers til thoroughly moistened.
2. In a food processor or mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
3. Add the lemon zest/sugar mixture and blend.
4. Add the butter pieces all at once and pulse or combine with fingers, pastry cutter or fork til mixture resembles coarse meal.
5. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, mix the egg yolk, vanilla extract, lemon juice and ice water together.
6. Drizzle the wet mixture over the dry til just combined.
7. Roll out the dough to approx. 1/8" thickness ( or divide into 4 pieces for tart shells), flouring if necessary as you roll.
8. Pop the dough into the fridge or freezer and when thoroughly chilled or frozen, preheat your oven to 375 and take the dough out and let it sit on the counter a few minutes, or til it's soft enough to cut into shapes.
* If making tartlettes, place the dough into the shells after rolling out, then freeze.*
(If your oven isn't yet to temperature, place back in the fridge while waiting.)
Be sure to dock or poke your dough to prevent the dough from puffing up too much, allowing steam to escape.
9. Bake til golden brown, approx. 12 to 13 minutes, depending on your oven.
10. Cool before topping.
Mix or whisk in a small bowl:
1/2 lb. ( 8 ozs.) mascarpone cheese
2 tbsp. confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Scoop filling onto cooled crust shapes ( or spoon into tart shells) then top with:
Sliced peaches ( or any other fruit you like), and finish off with whipped cream or even sour cream is great! Enjoy!