Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Spiced Nuts

Want something a little different to have with drinks around the Holidays, or to give as a Holiday gift? Well, these Spiced Nuts are it!! This is a recipe from Giada Delaurentis. I saw her make it once a long time ago on Food Network and as I was thinking about giving some homemade gifts this year, I remembered these nuts. To give for a gift, put them into a pretty glass jar tied with a ribbon and a label. The recipe is quick and very easy to make. But be warned...these are addictive!! It's hard to stop eating them!
They have a wonderful sweet and savory taste with just a bit of heat from the cayenne pepper. Perfect!! I did make a few changes.
I didn't have the nuts used in the original recipe so I had to go with what I had on hand,which was still great! I used sliced almonds ( rather than whole) and pecan and walnut halves.
I also only had garlic powder, rather than garlic salt so I added a pinch of salt.
Begin by putting your sugar and spices in a small bowl and stir to combine.
Beat egg whites til frothy. (I halved the recipe. I couldn't beat these in my standing mixer so I used my hand held old reliable mixer!


Add your nuts to the egg whites and stir.


Make sure they're all combined.

Then sprinkle the sugar and spice mixture over the nuts and stir to combine.

Liberally spray a baking sheet with veg. oil spray. Spread a single layer of nuts into pan. Bake for 45 minutes. ( I stirred once or twice during the baking.)

Beautiful!! They come out all crunchy and yummy. So go make some...right now!! And make yourself a drink to go with it... It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!
Spiced Nuts

Veg. cooking spray
2 egg whites
2 cups roasted and salted almonds ( I used toasted sliced almonds)
2 cups roasted and salted cashews ( I used toasted pecan halves)
2 cups walnut halves
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. curry powder
1 tbsp.ground cumin
2 1/2 tsp. garlic salt ( I didn't have this so I used garlic powder and 1/4 tsp. of salt).
1 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat oven to 250. Place rack in center of oven.
Liberally spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
1. Beat egg whites til frothy. Add nuts and stir to combine.
2. In small bowl combine sugar and spices ( last 7 ingredients).
3. Sprinkle sugar mixture over nuts and toss to coat.
4. Spread on baking sheet in a single layer.
5. Bake 45 minutes ( stirring a few times during baking).








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails