Monday, August 31, 2009

Chewy Oatmeal Squares

I just spent the past week down in Florida, a very hot place to be in August, but it was a trip I had to make. My sister and I had to pack up some of what we wanted from my Mom's condo. I was very happy to have, among other things, her pots and pans and a few remaining cookbooks that I didn't get last time I was down there.
One of the books she had was put out by the American Heart Association called, " Lowfat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook". With all the baking I do I have to admit I could use some low fat, heart healthy recipes!! This dessert recipe I tried today actually came out very good. There was still brown sugar in it and a little bit of veggie oil ( I used canola oil ), but the book says one serving has 127 calories and a serving is about a 2 inch by 1 inch piece.
So if you're looking for a lighter, lower fat dessert, give this one a try. BTW, it calls for a jar of strained baby food applesauce..why not just regular applesauce? Maybe the sugar?


Chewy Oatmeal Squares
Vegetable oil spray
1/2 cup vegetable oil( I used canola)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1- 4 1/2 oz. jar strained applesauce(baby food)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups quick cooking oats
1/3 cup chopped walnuts ( I used some walnuts and some pecans)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325.
Spray a 9" square pan with vegetable oil spray.
In a mixing bowl, combine oil, brown sugar, applesauce and vanilla. Add oats, nuts, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix til blended.
Press mixture evenly and firmly into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or til edges and golden brown. Cut into 36 squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails