Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Churros..my way

I know what you're thinking! Ok, stop laughing..I know these churros don't look like the usual ribbed ones you've seen in photos but, boy are they heavenly! They are light and delicate and I guarantee you won't be able to stop eating them, till they're gone! And no one will care or know that they're supposed to be a different shape..not unless you tell them!
Still without my oven, I chose to make churros because I've never made them before so I thought I'd give 'em a try. As far as the correct gadget to use to extrude them, well first I used a small metal gizmo that I had but it made them too small and thin. Then I pulled out my good 'ol retro Mirro cooky ( yes, that's how they used to spell it!) and pastry press and chose a larger tip to extrude. This worked much better but, of course, not like the star tip would have. Still, they are so amazing. I can't get over how light they came out. My son, Kris, came into the kitchen, asked me what I was making and proceeded to gobble down most of the first batch. So, I urge you to give these a try.
I felt sprinkling the cinnamon and sugar on them was enough. Some recipes include a chocolate sauce. A little over the top for breakfast! Maybe next time!
So, c'mon, let's get started.

In a medium saucepan, bring the water, butter, 1 tablespoon of sugar and salt to a boil.

Remove pan from heat and add in the flour.


Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until dough forms a smooth ball. Put pan back on low heat for about 1 minute, (just to cook the flour a little) stirring all the time. Be sure your setting isn't too high. You don't want to burn the mixture.

Dump the mixture into your mixer bowl and let it cool a few minutes.
Turn your mixer on low speed...

Drop in an egg and beat til dough is smooth and shiny.

Looks pretty, doesn't it? Light and velvety.

Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy bottomed medium pot til it registers 350 on a deep fry thermometer.
Spoon your dough into a pastry bag fitted with a large open star tip. ( Or do as I did and use a cooky press fitted with an open tip or star tip if you have one).
My second try. These came out much bigger and fatter and much better!
Pipe out lengths of dough about 5" long into the hot oil, about 6 to 8 at a time. Cut the dough with an oiled knife. Fry, turning once til golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Be sure the oil isn't too hot or the outside will get too dark while the inside isn't done enough.

Mix 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon in a small bowl and after you've drained them on a paper towel, roll them around in the mixture. Eat at once!
Churros ( adapted from Martha Stewart's Magazine Dec. 2008 issue)

1/2 cup water
1 oz. ( 2 tbsp.) unsalted butter
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 cup AP flour
1 large egg
Vegetable oil for frying
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Cayenne pepper ( optional) ( I didn't use)
In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and cayenne ( if using). Set aside.

1. Bring water, butter 1 tbsp. sugar and salt to boil in a medium saucepan.
2. Remove from heat and stir in flour.
3. Put pan back on medium heat and cook the flour mixture just for a minute, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon.
4. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and let it cool a few minutes.
5. With mixer on medium, add egg and beat til dough is smooth and shiny, about 3 minutes.
6. Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy bottomed pan til it registers 350.
7. Spoon dough into pastry bag fitted with large open star tip ( or do as I did).
8. Pipe 6 to 8 lengths of dough about 5" long into the hot oil. Cut dough off with a sharp oiled knife or kitchen scissors.
9. Fry, turning once, til golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
10. Drain on paper towels and toss into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Eat at once!







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails