Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lemon Curd

So as I was saying in yesterday's post, I have tons of lemons and...I'm sorry..did you think I was kidding about making the Lemon Curd, or something else lemony? Nope, I was serious!
As luck would have it I actually found an old issue of Martha Stewart's Magazine from June 2009 in my local thrift shop yesterday( heck, they're only 50 cents each!) And this is so much better ( cheaper,too!) than buying the curd at the store, right?
And she had this Lemon Curd recipe in the magazine, along with her Blueberry Buttermilk Scone recipe. Seems to be a recurring combo of scones with curd.
This curd recipe really is so easy to make and it's tart and sweet and so delicious.
So begin by whisking together, in a medium heavy saucepan, the egg, yolks, sugar, lemon zest and salt.
Bring it to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly.
Cook until mixture is thickened , about 5 minutes.
Strain through a fine sieve or strainer into a bowl, pressing the mixture through with a heavy spoon.

Whisk in the pieces of butter. And that's it! Just be sure to cover with plastic, pressing the plastic on top of the surface of the curd.
Refridgerate until cold, at least one hour or overnight.
Now pardon me while I go make some blueberry scones to go with it!
Lemon Curd ( makes about 3/4 cup)
1 large egg plus 3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest ( I used more like 1 tbsp.)
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice ( from 2 lemons)
Pinch of salt
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces.
1. In a medium heavy saucepan, whisk together egg, yolks, sugar, lemon zest , lemon juice and salt.
2. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly. Cook til mixture is thickened, about 5 minutes.
3. Strain through a fine sieve or strainer, pushing the curd through with a heavy spoon, into a bowl.
4. Whisk in butter pieces.
5. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of curd and refridgerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.







2 comments:

  1. On Monday I whipped up a batch of scones. Tomorrow i'm planning to make lemon bars... Haha. Lemons + scones = perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect to me! Hope you check back for more lemon recipes to come!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails