The other day my local market had for sale ( and on sale), tons of packaged up lemons. I'm talking about 10 lemons per package for like way way less than a dollar! So, there was no way I could leave all those lemons there for someone else! Nope. I had to have them..all! Now I'm on a mission to find some great recipes to make lemon everything.
This lemon cookie is very much like a shortbread cookie with lemon in the dough but the extra kick of delicious lemony flavor comes from the glaze you dip or spoon on top, ( depending on the consistency you like).
The cookies are wonderfully light, which comes from the combo of cornstarch and confectioners sugar. I urge you to give them a try. If you love lemon flavor, you'll love these!
Now I just have to figure out what the heck to do with about 30 more lemons! Hmm, lemon curd perhaps? Or lemon tart or lemon cake or lemonade or...
Lemon Heart Cookies with Lemon Glaze
3 cups flour
3 tbsp. cornstarch
3/4 tsp. salt
3 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
5 tsp. lemon juice ( I used alot more to get it thinner. Just keep adding juice til you like the consistency).
1 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
Preheat oven to 325.
1. Combine in a small bowl, flour, cornstarch and salt.
2. In mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar til creamy.
3. Beat in zest and extracts.
4. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture and beat til combined. The mixture may seem dry at first but keep mixing on low and it will eventually come together and clean the sides of the mixer bowl.
5. Divide dough in half.
6. Roll out each half between 2 pieces of waxed paper to approx. 3/8" thickness.
7. Cut out heart shapes ( I used 3 different sizes, just for the heck of it!).
If the dough gets too soft, just pop it into the fridge for about 15 minutes.
8. Place 1" apart on ungreased baking sheets. ( I always sprinkle my ungreased sheets with a little sugar to prevent sticking).
9. Bake 15 minutes or til the edges brown slightly.
Glaze: Mix confectioners sugar, juice and zest til well blended and the correct consistency.
Dip cookie in glaze or spoon glaze on top of each cookie.
Allow cookie to cool and the glaze to set. Place waxed paper between layers to store.
Store in air tight containers for up to one week. Can be frozen up to one month.