Monday, June 21, 2010

Coconut Macaroons

I've never made coconut macaroons before, not that I can remember anyway, and when I was flipping through a few old issues of Country Living Magazine, I came across this recipe. It's actually supposed to be Chocolate Coconut Macaroons, but it's so hot today, I just thought the chocolate would end up in a gooey melted mess. Better to save the chocolate for a cooler day!
I was hoping to be inspired to make something to celebrate the first day of summer but I couldn't find anything too exciting.
I began making the cookies, starting with beating the egg whites but they never really got to a stiff peak stage, as the recipe says they should. It was then that I ran to the computer to look up other Coconut Macaroon recipes and discovered there are a lot of versions. Some say to mix the egg white without even beating it. Some add flour, some not.
So I figured I might as well keep going, whimpy peaks and all!
Well, they came out very good, although I had to increase the baking time, but it could just be my oven.
I tasted one after it cooled a few minutes and it was really good. The outside was a little crunchy and the inside was soft. I think I could have baked them even a little longer. But I popped them into the fridge, where they will stay til they're all gone!
I hear objections to coconut all the time. Seems you either hate it or love it! My son, Kris, said something interesting after he tried one tonight. He said, "I love coconut but I only love it when I can get a big burst of it, like in this cookie!" He said he didn't like it when there's just a little bit of it in something. Hmm..I kind of know what he means! Oh and..Happy First Day of Summer!

So, to make these cookies you first need to whip the egg whites til soft peaks form.


Then gradually add the sugar in a steady stream and mix til well blended.
Add the vanilla and continue to beat until the mixture becomes soft and glossy peaks form.
Add the flour and beat til stiff peaks form ( mine never got to that stiff peak stage).
Gently fold in the coconut and allow the mixture to rest for 10 minutes.


Place on parchment lined baking sheet and form into a pyramid shape with your fingers.
They remind me of little haystacks!
Bake til golden brown, about 13 minutes. ( Mine took longer).
Chocolate Coconut Macaroons ( from Country Living Magazine, June 2001 issue).
Makes 20 cookies

2 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. AP flour
2 1/2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
3 1/2 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1 tsp. vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, whip the egg whites til soft peaks form.
2. With mixer running, gradually add the sugar in a steady stream and mix til well blended.
3. Add the vanilla and continue to beat til mixture becomes soft and glossy peaks form.
4. Add the flour and beat til stiff peaks form.
5. Gently fold in the coconut. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes.
6. Place heaping tablespoonfuls ( not too big), spacing a few inches apart. Pinch each small mound of batter into a pyramid shape. (Dampening your fingers really helps. They're sticky!)
7. Bake til golden brown, about 13 minutes. ( Mine took longer).
8. Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer, with parchment paper, onto wire rack to cool.
To dip in chocolate:
Place chocolate in a heatproof dish over simmering water or in the top of a double boiler.
Melt, stirring occasionally, to prevent burning.
Remove from heat and stir in the oil.
Dip the tip of each macaroon into the melted chocolate.
Place onto a wire rack to cool til set.
Store in airtight container for up to a week. ( I like them stored in the fridge).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails