Monday, August 9, 2010

Peach Barbeque Sauce

Yes I know, it's not a post about a cookie or brownie or cake or pie but I have to do something with all the wonderful abundant peaches this summer and we can only eat so many pies and cakes, upside down or right side up!
So when I came across this barbeque, (or barbecue) sauce recipe in a local food editors post I thought it sounded like a good way to use up some peaches.
The recipe involves a lot of ingredients but if you get them assembled, it goes together very quickly.
The flavor of the sauce is wonderful. It's a kind of sweet and spicy sauce with the slightly sweet from the peaches, brown sugar, honey and maple syrup. Then the spicy from the mustard, vinegar, worchestershire sauce and garlic.
We don't yet have a outside grill so I baked chicken and pork ribs with the sauce and it was great!
I put some into the freezer because even with halving the recipe it still made more than we can use right away and I don't want it to spoil, (and no, I'm not into canning!). So I think it will freeze well but only time will tell.

Get all your ingredients together and just go down the list, adding each one into your saucepan.
First, peel and slice the peaches, then place them into a blender or food processor and puree.
Then add all other ingredients into the saucepan...


And place the saucepan on the heat and bring to a low boil.
Boil the sauce on this low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Take off the heat and cool down, transferring to a bowl if you want it to cool faster.

Peach Barbeque Sauce

Makes approx. 6 cups
6 large peaches, pitted and peeled
1 1/2 cups vinegar ( the recipe didn't specify which kind of vinegar so I used red wine vinegar)
1 cup oil ( the recipe didn't specify which type of oil so I used canola)
1 small clove of garlic, minced
2 tbsp. dijon mustard
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. worchestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3/4 cup maple syrup *( I used half maple syrup and half honey)*
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch, mixed with a tiny amount of water to make liquid
1. Puree the peaches.
2. Mix a tiny amount of water with the cornstarch to make it liquid.
3. Add the peaches and all the other ingredients into a medium saucepan and stir.
4. Put pan on heat and allow the mixture to come to a boil over medium heat, lowering the heat to low boil, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
5. If the mixture looks too thin, add in some more cornstarch ( mixed with water) to thicken to the consistency of barbeque sauce.
6. Cool the mixture to room temperature ( transferring into bowl to speed up the cooling).
* Note: I think using Agave or Brown Rice Syrup might work in place of the maple syrup or honey, but I'm not totally sure. Just a thought!*

3 comments:

  1. Just made your lime sugar cookies (http://www.cookiesleuth.com/2010/08/lime-sugar-cookies.html). Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! So glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I always have get too many peaches from our tree. I'll have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails