But last week I was talking to Casey, one of the vendors at the market and she asked me about the cupcakes. She had really liked them and wanted to make them for her birthday. Yes, her own birthday!
So I decided to make a batch today, using large muffin cups rather than the regular size. Kind of like a small birthday cake size. Now she can see the recipe here and make them for herself...or do you think she was hinting she wanted me to make them for her?!..Kidding!
The cupcakes are light, using one egg and 2 egg whites and the strawberry puree adds the wonderful strawberry flavor in the cakes and again in the frosting.
Begin by whisking the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Then set aside.
Place strawberries into a food processor or blender and pulse (or blend) into a puree. You should have 1/3 cup.
Set the puree aside for a minute.
In mixer bowl, cream the butter til light and fluffy.
Gradually add the sugar and beat til combined and fluffy.
Reduce the speed to medium and slowly add the egg and egg whites til just incorporated.
Stir the strawberry puree, milk and vanilla into a small bowl.
Add half the flour mixture, then the strawberry puree mixture, then the remaining half of the flour mixture, scraping the sides of the mixer bowl occasionally.
Bake 22 to 25 minutes.
Makes 12 regular size cupcakes or 6 jumbo cupcakes
2/3 cup whole fresh or frozen strawberries, ( thawed)
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
1/4 cup whole milk, room temp.
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp.
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, room temp.
2 large egg whites, room temp.
1/2 cup whole frozen strawberries, thawed ( I used fresh)
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
Pinch of coarse salt
1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1/4 tsp. vanilla
To make cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350. Line cups with paper liners.
1. Place berries in a food processor or blender and pulse (or blend) to a puree. You should have 1/3 cup of puree. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a small bowl, mix the strawberry puree, milk and vanilla.
4. In mixer bowl, cream the butter til light and fluffy, gradually adding the sugar. Comtinue to beat til well combined and fluffy.
5. Reduce speed to medium and slowly add the egg and egg whites til just incorporated.
6. With mixer on low speed, slowly add half the flour mixture, Mix til just incorporated.
7. Add the milk mixture, scraping down the sides.
8. Slowly add the remaining flour mixture.
9. Scoop batter evenly among the pans, filling about 2/3 full.
10. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. ( Mine took a little longer because they were bigger).
1. Place berries in a food processor and puree. ( Or you can use a blender)
2. In mixer bowl, beat butter and salt til light and fluffy.
3. Reduce mixer to low speed and add confectioners sugar. Beat just til combined.
4. Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons of puree. Mix to blend. Don't overmix. The frosting should be dense and creamy. ( I made this recipe twice and both times it was never dense, but it was creamy!)
5. Frost cupcakes. Keep in fridge..you'll want to keep the frosting as cold as possible!
Oh yes..I almost forgot..Happy Birthday, Casey!