These cookies are a recipe from Sherry Yard and they combine the wonderful combination of ginger and lemon. They remind me of these but not as soft.They are a chewy cookie, kind of like a sugar cookie but with more pronounced flavor. They'd be great for ice cream sandwiches, too! Come on now, ice cream isn't just for summer!
The only change I'd make is to increase the amount of crystallized ginger to about one third of a cup.
Begin by sifting or whisking the dry ingredients.
Cream the cold butter 2 minutes on medium speed.
Add the egg and beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Don't overbeat!
On low speed, add dry ingredients and mix til all incorporated.
I chose to sprinkle some granulated sugar on top before baking rather than rolling the log in sugar before slicing.
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2" pcs.
3/4 cup sugar plus 1/4 cup for rolling
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg, room temp.
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped ( I'd increase amount to 1/3 cup next time)
1. Sift or whisk flour and baking soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream butter in mixer bowl on medium speed til pale yellow, about 2 minutes.
3. Add 3/4 cup sugar, lemon zest, ground ginger and salt. Cream on medium speed til smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl.
4. Add egg and beat on low speed for 30 seconds or til fully incorporated. Don't overbeat!
5. On low speed, add dry mixture, beating til all incorporated, about 30 seconds.
6. Stir in crystallized ginger.
7. On parchment paper or waxed paper, form dough into a log 2" by 12" long. Wrap and put in fridge til firm, or up to a week or you can freeze up to 1 month.
8. Preheat oven to 350. Position rack to lower third of oven. Roll log in sugar, then cut slices 1/3" thick and place on parchment lined baking sheet 2" apart.
9. Bake 12 to 15 minutes.
10. Cool about 5 minutes on sheet, then transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.