So, as I said, I didn't read that part so I had a bunch of soft, but still delicious, lemony, gingery cookies on my hands. What to do with them? Make them into sandwich cookies!
They actually came out great like this so if you want crunchy cookies, bake them 14 minutes. If you want soft cookies to make sandwich cookies out of them ( I'll give you the filling recipe below) bake them 7 minutes!
Chop the crystallized ginger and zest 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and set aside.
Add the egg and beat to combine.
Add the lemon zest and mix.
Then add it to the butter mixture.
Bake 7 minutes, take out of the oven and sprinkle tops with sugar and bake for another 7 minutes.
Makes 3 dozen
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1 1/3 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely diced
Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. In mixing bowl with paddle attachment, mix butter and 3/4 cup sugar til light and fluffy, about 5 minutes, scraping sides of bowl well.
2. Add egg, mixing on high to combine.
3. Mix in lemon zest.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients and crystallized ginger.
5. Add the dry to the butter mixture and mix on low speed to combine.
6. Drop 2 teaspoonfuls of dough onto the baking sheet spacing 2" apart.
7. Bake for 7 minutes, then take out of the oven and sprinkle tops of cookies with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
8. Place cookies back in the oven for another 7 minutes.
9. Cool on wire rack.
Lemon Filling for Sandwich Cookies
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
zest of half of a lemon
enough lemon juice to make spreadable (but still slightly thick.)
1. Work the softened butter and the powdered sugar to combine a little.
2. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and stir to make spreadable but still slightly thick.