Saturday, July 31, 2010

Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese Tart

I just can't seem to pull myself away from this book, The Modern Baker" by Nick Malgieri. I've been posting recipes on and off for probably 2 weeks now and I keep finding new ones I want to try!
This beautiful tart uses goat cheese and one of my favorite things, roasted red peppers. The original recipe calls for any color pepper which he says is fine for this tart but the red and yellow ones are sweeter than the green ones.
The crust is, for me, a bit unusual. It is an olive oil dough. It's easy to make and rolls out beautifully because it uses oil rather than butter.

I made a few changes in the recipe. For one thing, I have regular parsley growing in my backyard garden so I used that instead of the flat leaf parsley called for in the recipe.
I also only had 8 ounces of goat cheese. The original calls for 10 ounces, which to me is an odd amount as I only see goat cheese in the supermarket in 4 ounce sizes and this would mean buying 3 packages. Being somewhat of a frugal cook, I wouldn't have wanted to buy a third container. The cheese is a bit pricey!). The goat cheese I used, however, was from the same farm, Flint Hill Farm, that I get at my farmer's market.
One last mention, and this is an important note.
I didn't have any time to roast red peppers and the recipe gives a 3 step process for doing this in the book. So...you guessed it! I cheated and used store bought peppers. Well, they were good ones at least! Marinated sweet roasted peppers in olive oil and garlic. Saved alot of time. So, having said that, I am not including the roasting of the peppers part. I honestly think the store bought kind worked just fine here but if you'd like to make them yourself here's one link I found, although there are many recipes available for doing this. (It's not the difficulty of making them, it just the time involved.)
I did really love the flavors of the peppers with the goat cheese in this tart. And I'd love to make the olive oil crust again. Hmm..let's see..maybe some ricotta and a pesto basil or caramelized onion and olives, or how about spinach, mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes...or..

To make the tart dough, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times.


Place the oil, egg, egg yolk, and water in a small measuing cup and whisk with a fork to break up the egg and yolk.
Add the egg/oil mixture to the flour mixture pulsing repeatedly til the dough forms a shaggy ball.
Don't overmix or the oil might separate from the dough and make it impossible to handle later on. ( His words, not mine). I say just undermix slightly and you'll be fine! As you can see from the photo below, mine looks more like a curdled mass, rather than a shaggy ball!

Then dump out the dough onto a floured work surface or a piece of plastic wrap. ( I always use plastic wrap or waxed paper no matter what the recipe says but if you're okay with a floured surface then go right ahead!)
Press the dough into a roughly 1/2" thick disc without folding it over on itself.

Roll out the dough either on a floured surface or between 2 pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper ( or you can refridgerate til needed. It will keep in the fridge for several days. Sure..while you make those roasted peppers!). Roll it to the size you'll need for your 10" or 11" tart pan.


Then place the dough into the pan.


See my cheater red peppers? I cut them into strips.


Sprinkle the half the goat cheese onto the unbaked crust. Then place half the pepper strips on top. I thought it would make cutting easier to place the peppers this way. Then repeat with the other half of the goat cheese and peppers.

Whisk the eggs with salt and pepper and parsley...


And pour onto the crust.


I just love the colors!


Bake the tart til the filling is set and well colored and the crust is baked through, about 30 minutes. It will look a little underdone in the center but it continues to cook a little and set up after you take it out of the oven.


Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese Tart ( adapted from "The Modern Baker " by Nick Malgieri)

Single Crust:
For a 10" or 11" single crust pie or tart
1 1/2 cups AP flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup olive oil ( the recipe didn't specify which kind to use so I used Extra Virgin)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 tbsp. water
Roasted peppers:
( If you're roasting your own peppers, you'll need):
4 medium bell peppers, about 2 pounds
salt
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 garlic clove

If you're using store bought roasted peppers you'll need:

2 - 12 oz.jars ( you may not need the full amounts of both jars)

Filling:

10 ozs. of mild goat cheese ( I used 8 ozs.), such as Montrachet, crumbled
6 large eggs
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf ( Italian) parsley ( I used regular parsley)

Preheat oven to 375. Set a rack on the lowest level of the oven.

Make the dough :
1.Place the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
2. Mix the oil, egg, egg yolk and water in a small measuring cup and whisk with a fork to break up the egg and yolk.
3. Add the egg/oil mixture to the dry and pulse repeatedly til dough forms a shaggy ball ( see my notes above).
4. Dump the mixture onto a floured work surface ( or on plastic wrap) and press into a 1/2" thick disc.
5. Roll out the dough to fit a 10" or 11" tart pan and place dough into pan.
6. Sprinkle half the goat cheese onto the dough, followed by half the peppers, then repeat using the remaining half of the goat cheese and peppers.
7. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with salt and pepper and parsley and pour the mixture into the crust.
8. Bake the tart til the filling is set and well colored and the crust is baked through, about 30 minutes. Careful not to overbake the tart. The filling will look a little underdone but it will continue to bake after it comes out of the oven and set up as it cools. Cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails