Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Chewy Chunky Blondie

I noticed this recipe for a chewy chunky blondie floating around the internet recently and although I'd like to think I have a really great blondie recipe, I can never resist trying another, especially if it's one from Dorie Greenspan. You just know it's going to be good!
I make blondies quite often for the Farmer's markets and it's interesting to note that there are still so many people, around here anyway, that don't know what a blondie is. Once they take a sample bite though, they're hooked!
My recipe is made without using the standing mixer but, even though this one does use a mixer, it's still a quick and easy dessert.
As far as the add - ins go, I think you can just about add in anything you like.. and leave out anything you don't. For example, if you don't like coconut, leave it out. As I've said before, toasting it, I think, helps cut some of the chewiness that a lot of people don't like.
For the nuts, I used pecans rather than walnuts.
This blondie is moist, which you'd expect from a blondie, and it has the right amount of sweetness. I love the crunch from the nuts and the butterscotch chips adds a caramel flavor.
As usual, I halved the recipe and used an 8" x 8" pan.

Chewy Chunky Blondie ( adapted from Dorie Greenspan's recipe)

2 cups AP flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp.
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
6 ozs. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate , chopped into chips or 1 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips or Heath toffee bits
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts ( I used toasted pecans)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut ( I used toasted coconut )

Preheat oven to 325. Lightly spray a 9" x 13" pan and line with heavy foil, extending the foil on 2 sides to allow you to lift out, once baked .

1. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. In a mixer bowl, beat butter til smooth.
3. Add the sugars and beat about 3 minutes.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating one minute after each addition.
5. Beat in vanilla.
6. With mixer on low speed, add in the flour mixture.
7. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the add - ins.
8. Bake 40 minutes or til a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and the sides are pulling away.
9. Cool in the pan approx. one hour, then, using the foil, lift out the blondie and cut into serving size pieces.

5 comments:

  1. I now have a craving for blondies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what I'll be baking this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were amazing! On my 2nd time making them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me know Nicole. They are pretty darn great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails