Thursday, December 2, 2010

Stout Oatmeal Cookies

Beer Cookies?
Yes, I have to admit that when I first read this recipe I had my doubts. Although I should not have questioned the use of Guiness Stout in this recipe, because, after all, I did make this, which was a full bodied bread/cake and really delicious. And then let's not forget recipes using stout such as Chocolate Stout Cake or Guiness Brownies. There's also even an Oatmeal Stout Beer.
So all this sounds good... right? We'll get to those another time!
But for today, let's make some Guiness Stout Cookies.
Before we begin, I have to tell you these cookies are just the best! They are a chewy cookie with a wonderful oatmeal spice flavor and the stout comes through just slightly. My son, Kris, said he tasted the beer and because you reduce the bottle of beer to a mere half a cup, the flavor is intensified.
So give this recipe a try..and let 'em guess the "secret" ingredient!


First you'll want to simmer the bottle of stout til it reduces to half a cup. Just keep simmering and measuring, but keep an eye on it and keep it on a low simmer. This took me about 20 minutes.
Once it measures the half cup, pour into a bowl and let it cool down. ( I popped it into the fridge to speed this up).
Meanwhile, put the other wet ingredients and sugars, etc. into your mixer bowl and pour in the stout once it's cooled down.
Mix these ingredients til well blended.

Then add the dry ingredients and then slowly blend in the oatmeal.


Stir in the add-in's of your choice. I divided the dough in half and made half with just raisins and half with walnuts. I like them both! (I did try a few with some chocolate chips which I didn't care for.)
Then drop them by teaspoonfuls or use a small cookie scoop, spacing about 2" apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. ( Mine took 14 minutes).
Stout Oatmeal Cookies ( adapted from jandatri.com)


1 12 oz. bottle of stout
1 1/2 cup shortening
2 cups brown sugar ( I used light brown)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups AP flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt ( I added this)
6 cups quick cooking oats ( next time I'll use half regular and half quick cooking)
1 cup raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips or anything else you might like!
Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. Pour the stout beer into a heavy saucepan and let it simmer on low heat til reduced to half a cup amount. This will take about 20 minutes.Then pout it into a bowl to allow it to cool to room temp. ( or place in the fridge to speed this up).
2. In a mixing bowl, mix the shortening, both sugars, eggs, vanilla and beer reduction til well blended.
3.In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt and soda.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture, mixing well.
5. Slowly blend in the oats, mixing til just combined.
6. Stir in the add-ins you're using.
7. Scoop teaspoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet spacing 2" apart and bake 12 to 15 minutes. ( Mine took 14 minutes). Check after 12 minutes. The centers should not be too wet looking and the edges should be browned.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome recipe. I would have never thought to use stout.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails