Friday, June 5, 2009

Blondies, again...mine vs. theirs

Mine on the right. ATK on the left( see the white chocolate chip?) They do look almost exactly the same. (The color on both is a nice caramel color but, alas, it's a rainy no sunlight kind of day so the photo makes them look very pale.)



Well, here it is another bakeathon Friday, with 3 markets to bake for this weekend...(the weatherman better be right about it being a sunny one!!), and I decide, once again, to do a comparison of my blondie recipe vs. America's Test Kitchen blondie. I don't really know why I pick the busiest day to do this...or, for that matter, why I even do this at all!! I guess I think maybe there's a better recipe than the one I'm using out there and I need to know !! But anyway, here goes.


The 2 recipes are very similar. The ATK recipe. uses almost the same ingredients but different amounts than mine. Where I put in butterscotch chips, semi sweet chips,pecans and toasted coconut, they only put in semi sweet chocolate chips , pecans and white chocolate chips. They use 2 whole eggs and I use one whole egg and one egg yolk. I will say that I like the fact that theirs makes quite a lot more blondie than mine. I bake mine in a 8 x 8" pan and theirs is baked in a 9 x 13" pan so with a little more amounts, theirs makes more.


As you can see in the photos, they both look almost identical.And...drumroll please...the taste...even though mine was much sweeter, the addition of butterscotch chips gave it more flavor so I still like mine better. So I'm thinking... their recipe with more stuff in it!! Sounds good to me!





My blondie recipe:

1/2 cup butter ( melted and cooled)
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. soda
pinch salt


Add ins:
1/3 cup butterscotch chips
1/3 cup toasted pecans( roughly chopped)
1/3 cup toasted coconut
1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Butter and line bottom with parchment paper a 8 "x 8" pan. Set aside.
In small bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk butter and sugar.
Add egg, yolk, vanilla and whisk til combined.
Add flour mixture to butter mixture with spatula and stir til just combined.
Add chips, pecans, coconut and butterscotch chips and just gently stir to combine.
Pour into prepared pan and smooth out with spatula or knife.
Bake at 350 for 23 - 25 minutes, or til toothpick comes out clean.
Cool completely in pan ( at the least one hour) and turn out onto cutting board. Cut to desired sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails