Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Even More Herb Cookies...Lime Basil Biscotti


Yep...I'm continuing my herb cookie craze with Biscotti this time. A few posts ago I made Lime Basil Shortbread Cookies and I got to thinking about this combo with Biscotti. I mean, what the heck, I just made Lavender Honey Biscotti and that turned out very good so I figured I'd give this a try! The lime flavor is very subtle , so far, but maybe by tomorrow it should be even more intense. The basil flavor doesn't really come through much. You could make it more "limey" by drizzling the biscotti with a lime glaze made from a little lime juice mixed with confectioners sugar. So, give it a try for a new twist on Biscotti...call it Summertime Biscotti...or something ...whatever!! ( This Biscotti recipe, you may notice, does not use any butter or oil so it has a wonderful "crunch").


Lime Basil Biscotti

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.


2 1/2 cups A.P. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet basil
2 tbsp. lime zest
2 tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. lime zest ( for sprinkling on top before baking)


In a large bowl whisk flour,baking soda,baking powder,salt. Add basil and set aside.
In large mixing bowl, beat eggs and gradually add sugar til mixture is smooth and fluffy.
Beat in vanilla and add lime zest and mix til just combined.
With mixer on low, stir in flour mixture and mix til just combined.
Drop batter onto parchment lined sheet. ( You can divide dough in half for 2 logs.)
Shape log (s) with damp fingers.
Sprinkle tops with "lime sugar".
Bake for approx. 25 min. ( or until log springs back when touched with finger).
Let cool about 10 minutes.
On cutting board, slice log(s) and place slices back on baking sheet. Bake about6- 7 minutes, turn slices over and bake other side another6- 7 minutes.

Cool on wire cooling racks.

Store in air tight container. Try with some cool, creamy ice cream or sorbet!! Yum!!


2 comments:

  1. I have lime oil and added approximately 1/4 tsp (little less) when I added the lime zest to the batter. I also steeped some basil leaves in with the lime juice and let the liquid cool. I then will mix the lime juice/basil flavor to powder sugar and will glaze the cookies. I'm hoping this will amp up the basil flavor. Thanks for the receipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Sounds great! Glad you like the recipe. Tweeking recipes is always a great idea...makes it your own.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails