Wednesday, January 12, 2011

White Chocolate Blondies

I'm always up for trying out new blondie recipes and I chose this one from Ghirardelli. They call it their Classic Blondie. It differs from the blondie recipes I'm used to in that it calls for just white sugar, no brown sugar, making it a real blondie! (Rather than a brunette. Ha!)
Since I only had one white chocolate bar (the recipe calls for 8 oz., which would be two bars), I halved it. The only pan I had to bake it in was a loaf pan..kind of odd, but, whatever works, right?
The only thing I messed up on was the baking time. Since it was halved, I didn't exactly calculate the baking time correctly so I overbaked it a bit...okay, alot! But it still tasted great.
Baked correctly, I can see it is a rich blondie with a nice subtle flavor of white chocolate. My usual blondies also have nuts, but I think this one is actually better without them.

Melt the white chocolate and butter in a double boiler over barely simmering water til melted and smooth.

Meanwhile, beat the eggs til foamy, then beat in the sugar in a slow and steady stream.
Then add in the vanilla and slowly add in the melted chocolate/butter mixture.


With a spatula, fold in the flour and salt...

Then gently stir in the chocolate chips.

Pour the mixture into a prepared pan and bake 20 to 25 minutes or til a tester comes out clean.

A big scoop of ice cream would be so good with these!

Classic Blondies ( from Ghirardelli's package)

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
8 oz. white chocolate bar
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pcs.
2 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups AP flour
3/4 tsp. salt
********************
Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9" square pan with parchment paper and butter the paper.
1. In the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water, melt the white chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally, til smooth and melted.
2. In a mixer bowl, beat the eggs til foamy.
3. With mixer running, add the sugar in a slow steady stream.
4. Add the vanilla, then the melted chocolate/butter mixture in a slow stream.
5. Fold in the flour and salt, then the chocolate chips til just combined.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or til tester comes out clean.
Let blondies cool in pan for about 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.







4 comments:

  1. Have you noticed that there seem to be a lot more recipes using white chocolate these days? Not that I'm complaining, I always forget how much I enjoy white chocolate until I eat some.

    I was honestly planning on baking something else this weekend, but now I've got a craving for these blondies :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great (and not over-baked one bit)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam,
    I think you'll really like these blondies.Just remember not to cook them too long. They need to stay moist. A lot of people don't care for white chocolate but I think a good quality is key and Ghirardelli brand is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find Ghirardelli chocolate to be too viscous. It is not important if you use it as a ganache or within a cake recipe; however, for dipping, I do not like the results. It appears to be too heavy and sometimes the chocolate creates its own "wrinkles"

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails