Thursday, October 15, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup

Today was a totally miserable day, weather wise. Actually the next few days are supposed to be pretty awful. Rain and cold...a perfect soup day for sure!
I had to run out to deliver cookies to a local store that carries my goodies and I noticed in their refridgerated case some butternut squash soup for sale. It looked so good that I had to make my next stop the food store to buy the ingredients to make it.
I've made tons of soup in my time but never butternut squash soup so I checked out some recipes on line and kind of came up with my own version, adding some carrots...why?...don't really know...just because I felt like it!! It's really an easy recipe. What takes the longest time is roasting the veggies.
So, I guess you could really call this, Butternut Vegetable Cream Soup. Oh yea, I forgot to mention I put some cream in the soup, too! And I threw in a few fresh sage leaves I had in my garden.
Anyhoo, here's what I did.

I decided to roast the veggies first, rather than just boiling them, to bring out more flavor. Butternut squash, onions and carrots drizzled with some olive oil and salt and pepper on a sheet pan.

After they are finished roasting, let them cool about 5 - 10 minutes.

Butternut Squash Soup


2 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
2 medium onions, peeled and cut into chucks
32 oz. box of chicken broth
olive oil
salt and pepper
pinch nutmeg
pinch cayenne
other spices I used: Ancho chili pepper
Garlic powder
Heavy cream or half & half
A few sage leaves ( if you have them).
Sour cream for garnish
1. Peel and cut into chunks the squash, onions and carrots.
2. Place onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
3. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or til the veggies are soft.
4. Let the veggies cool about 5-10 minutes, then place about 1/3 of them into a blender with some chicken broth ( about 1 - 2 cups ) and blend til smooth.
5. Repeat with remaining veggies and broth.
6. Place the smooth mixture into a large pan and heat on medium.
7. Add the spices, inlcuding the salt and pepper, tasting as you add to adjust to your taste.
8. Add a splash of cream and/or half & half.
Note: If you add the cayenne and ancho chili powder add just a pinch, really. Not too much to overpower the nice flavor of the soup.
9. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and sage leaves, if you have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails