Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Date Pinwheel Cookies

Back in August when I was visiting relatives down in Florida I asked my 91 year old Aunt Hilda if she had any old recipes she would be willing to pass on to me, specifically, cookie or cake recipes!
She disappeared into the kitchen for a few minutes and came out with a few" oldies but goodies!" She is the only remaining relative from that generation on both sides and if anyone would have any old family recipes left, it would be her!
Growing up we would always spend Christmas with my Aunt and Uncle in New Jersey and I have many fond memories of those times past...along with remembering her delicious cookies!!
This Date Pinwheel cookie recipe, as you can see from the photo, is an old one from Woman's Day Magazine. It probably should have been named Date Nut Pinwheel Cookies. What year, I don't know, but I would gestimate around the 1960's?!
It's a simple recipe with few ingredients, unlike those I've researched online (sometimes less is more!). The cookies have a wonderful date flavor and they're not too sweet.
I found working with the dough was not too bad but I tend to roll my doughs out too thin, no matter whether it's a pie crust or cookie dough. I just like a nice thin flaky dough. But with this recipe it's better not to roll it out too thin, about 1/8 inch thick and definitely between 2 sheets of floured waxed paper!
Also another tip, I found that once the cookies are rolled up and wrapped in waxed paper, freeze them , placing them into a ziploc bag, rather than just putting them into the fridge. The dough tends to be a bit soft. They slice and bake much better this way. And you can bake them whenever you like since they keep well in the freezer.
So, give them a try!!

I have printed this recipe exactly as it's given (with a few notes from me)

Date Pinwheel Cookies
(Recipe says it makes 6 dozen)

1/2 cup butter (I used unsalted)
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar ( note: my aunt changed this amt. to 1/2 cup, and so did I)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
2 cups sifted flour
salt ( I used just a pinch)
1/4 tsp soda
7 1/4 ounce package pitted dates
1 cup chopped nuts ( I used walnuts)

Cream butter: adding brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, vanilla and egg: beat til light.
Add sifted dry ingredients.
Chill until firm enough to roll.
To make filling:
Cut dates into small pieces ( I took mine for a spin along with the nuts in the food processor); bring to boil with remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, dash of salt and 1/3 cup water. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. ( I only simmered for about 2 minutes).
Add nuts.( Mine were already in with the dates). Cool.
Halve dough. Roll each half on floured waxed paper into a 9" x 12" rectangle (Mine was kind of a rectangle about this size!).
Spread with filling. ( With a light hand or else the dough might break!).
Roll up tightly from end.
Wrap in paper. Chill overnight. ( I wrapped in plastic wrap and put in freezer.)
Preheat oven to 375.
Slice 1/8" thick. ( I lined my sheets with parchment paper).
Bake approx. 10 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails