Anyhoo, I came across this recipe called Sticky Peanut Butter Cookie Bars when I realized I have tons of unsalted peanuts and I should start making something with them! I had all the other ingredients needed to make these bar cookies, even the bittersweet chocolate, which is pretty unusual for me. I really don't care too much for bittersweet chocolate. Actually, if I made these again I would use semi sweet chocolate instead because the bittersweet really cuts the sweet, almost too much.
So let's begin.
Here's the line up for the shortbread cookie base. Peanuts, flour, sugar, kosher salt, butter.
Pulse peanuts, flour, sugar and salt and in food processor til peanuts are ground and mixed well.
Press mixture into a glass baking dish.
Bake til golden, about 30 minutes. Remove and place on wire rack to cool.
Make topping. Sprinkle chopped chocolate over cooled shortbread base.
Make topping. Combine sugar, salt and water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often til sugar is dissolved.
And boiling...til it turns a caramel color...but watch it!! It turns and burns very quickly (yes, I had to throw out the first batch:( ).
Remove from heat and carefully stir in the cream and vanilla...Be careful, it bubbles up a bit!!
Stir the peanuts into the caramel mixture.
1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter ( cut into small pieces)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt ( divided)
2 tbsp. water
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 cups unsalted roasted peanuts
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter 8" x 8" glass baking dish.
2. Combine peanuts, flour, sugar and salt in food processor. Pulse til peanuts are ground and mixture is well combined.
3. Add butter pieces and pulse til mixture resembles cornmeal.
4. Press mixture into baking dish.
5. Bake til golden, about 30 minutes.
6. Cool completely on wire rack.
1. Combine sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt and water in medium saucepan.
2. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often til sugar is dissolved.
3. Continue to boil, swirling pan occasionally. ( Do not stir), til it turns a caramel color.
4. Remove pan from heat and carefully stir in cream and vanilla.
5. Sprinkle chopped chocolate evenly over cooled shortbread base.
6. Stir peanuts into caramel mixture and immediately pour over shortbread, spreading with
the back of a spoon.
7. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 tsp. salt over topping.
8. Let cool and cut into squares or rectangles.