Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Buttermilk Lemon Currant Scones

I decided it was time to put the new oven to the test. The baking is going along without any overheating issues so today was the day to give it the official scone test, since the higher oven temperature was the problem with the other ovens.
I thought it might also be a good opportunity to try a little different scone recipe so I searched for a recipe that used buttermilk, which is what I had in the fridge, rather than half and half or cream.

I found this one but changed one of the add in ingredients. I changed the dried cranberries to currants but kept the lemon zest. I have to say that the scones turned out way better than expected. They were light, very much like a biscuit, and the lemon zest really came through, giving them a wonderful flavor.
And.. how about with a dollop of this? Yum!
I forgot to brush some cream on top before baking, which I always do with my scones. I usually add a sprinkling of raw sugar on top,too..which I also forgot to do!

As usual, I halved the recipe and I could have gotten more than just 4 scones out of this but I cut them rather large. I didn't want to waste the dough so I formed it into a square, rather than a circle.
One last thing, I made the scones the way I usually do so the original recipe is a little different.
Throw the dry into a food processor. Add the cold butter pieces and give it a few pulses til the butter is in smaller chunks.

Then dump the mixture into a large mixing bowl and grate the lemon zest into the dry/butter mix. Mix it a bit with your fingers to break up any remaining large lumps of butter.

In a small bowl, beat the egg and buttermilk.

And add to the dry mixture stirring gently with a fork. Switch to a spatula and stir just a few times to combine.

Throw a handful of currants into the mixture and gently fold them in.

Dump the dough onto a floured work surface and form into a circle or square, using floured hands.

Cut the dough into which ever shapes you prefer.
Scoop up and place onto the parchment lined baking sheet.

Place about 3" apart. And remember...brush the tops with cream or milk and sprinkle with coarse or raw sugar. Then bake!


Buttermilk Lemon Currant Scones

2 cups AP flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
handful of currants
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
cream or half and half ( or even whole milk) for tops
coarse or raw sugar ( for sprinkling tops)
Preheat oven to 425.
1. Place flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and butter pieces into food processor and pulse a few times til butter is in smaller pieces. Place mixture into a large mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg and buttermilk.
3. Add the wet to the dry and mixing with a fork. Switch to a spatula and gently stir a few times.
4. Throw a handful of currants into the mixture and gently fold them in.
5. Dump the mixture onto a floured work surface and form into a circle or square about 1 " thick.
6. Cut out shapes you prefer and place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet about 3" apart.
7. Brush tops with cream or milk and sprinkle with coarse or raw sugar.
8. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. They should be slightly firm to the touch and light golden brown.
9. Cool on wire rack. Best eaten warm with a cup of tea...just out of the oven!







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails