Friday, March 18, 2011

Kitchen Sink Cookies

I was standing in line at the check out counter today and the newest issue of Family Circle caught my eye. I spotted a beautiful lemon bundt cake on the cover so I grabbed the magazine and proceeded to flip through it and I landed on these cookies. So what could I do? I had to spring for the $1.99 for the magazine and go home and make them! They sounded so good.

I do try to fight the temptation to buy, yet another magazine because I have so many now. And I usually get them for about fifty cents at the my local thrift shop ( big spender that I am!) but I gave in...I love cookies with lots of "stuff" in them. And I'm sure I've posted many already...so here's another!

You can probably add whatever you like into them. The original recipe calls for coconut, oats, semisweet chocolate chips and mixed jumbo raisins but you could also use dried cherries or cranberries, nuts or even pumpkin seeds, if you like them. They are kitchen sink cookies after all!

Let me tell you, these cookies are addictive. With every bite you get a taste of everything you put in the cookie and they're chewy and crunchy and...so good!

Start by whisking the dry ingredients together, then set aside.

Combine the add ins in a small bowl and set that aside.


Then do your creaming of the butter with the sugars, then add the eggs and vanilla.
Beat in the dry ingredients, then stir in the add ins.

Scoop 1/4 cupfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet spacing about 3" apart and flatten them slightly.

Bake for about 20 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Jumbo Kitchen Sink Cookies ( from Family Circle Magazine)


Makes about 2 dozen
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups AP flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 pkg. (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups shredded coconut ( I toasted mine)
1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups mixed jumbo raisins ( I only had regular dark raisins)
********************
Preheat oven to 350.
1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder , cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add in the vanilla.
4. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture.
5. Stir in the add ins.
6. Scoop 1/4 cup amounts onto an ungreased baking sheet, spacing 3" apart and flatten each cookie.
7. Bake for approx. 20 minutes ( Mine took only 18 minutes.)
8. Let the sit for a minute on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.




2 comments:

  1. I tried this recipe as well and it is great. My kids don't like raisins so I subbed peanut butter chips. I love the way the cookies spread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this recipe in a magazine in the drs waiting room and made it for a church family supper. Everyone LOVED them. Then, of course lost the recipe! Glad to have found this again--it is a treasure to hold on to. The jumbo raisins make these different than reg oatmeal raisin cookies.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails