Friday, March 11, 2011

Naked Apple Pie

Since yesterday was such a nasty day to go outside, I decided to bake something from what I could find in the house. Everything ingredient that goes into this quick and easy "pie" is pretty much a staple pantry item.

Flipping through one of my vintage cookbooks I came upon this recipe...actually the name caught my interest! I does go together very quickly and can be made in no time in basically one bowl. It's a little on the idea of an apple crisp, in that the "pie" doesn't really have a cake-like consistency but softer, more apple pie-like. And the top gets a nice crackly texture that gives a wonderful little crunch.

It's tricky to get out of the pan so I suggest just giving up on the idea of getting a nice looking slice ( I did try to give you a pretty photo!) and just spoon it out! Plop some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top of the warm pie ( I had neither but I can only imagine!) and you've got yourself a delicious comforting dessert.

Chop up two apples...

Then beat the egg and add in the sugars, vanilla and cinnamon.


Add in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well, then add in the chopped apples...

And nuts and stir to combine.

Pour the batter into a greased and floured round pan.

And bake for 30 minutes.
It's best served warm.
Naked Apple Pie ( adapted from "Treasured Recipes, Food Editors Favorites")

1 egg
1/2 cup AP flour
1 tsp. baking powder
Pinch salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon ( I added this, apples need cinnamon!)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts ( pecans would also be good)
2 medium apples, peeled and chopped to 1/2" pieces
********************************
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour lightly a 9" round pan.
1. Beat the egg in a medium bowl, then add in both sugars, vanilla and cinnamon and stir to combine.
2. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt, mixing well to combine.
3. Stir in the chopped apples and nuts.
4. Pour the batter into your pan and bake for 30 minutes.
Serve warm or at room temperature.





2 comments:

  1. I have to thank you for completely derailing what I had planned on baking this weekend :). When I saw this recipe I needed to make it :). I changed a few things and it turned out quite well. If you care to read my thoughts you can check them out here http://www.thebakersnuts.ca/2011/03/naked-apple-pie.html
    Great post as always, and thanks a tonne :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I replied to your comment on my blog, but just in case you don't get a chance to see it. Is it possible that the original recipe does not have you pack the brown sugar? This would definitely account for the added sweetness since unpacked brown sugar is about half the volume. I might try again with 1/4 cup and see how it goes :). Either way it still hit the spot :).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails