Friday, May 7, 2010

Double Chocolate Brownies

After 5 straight days of nothing but baking and selling I gave myself a break and took it a little easier yesterday, actually trying to stay off my feet! Not and easy task for me. Sometimes my house, as well as I suppose, my life is filled with what I like to call organized chaos. At least I'd like to think the chaos is organized..sounds more in control!

Anyhow, in my attempt to organize, I was relocating my piles of Martha Stewart Living Magazines when, as usual, I couldn't resist flipping through one of the issues just to see if something caught my interest. And this particular issue had an article titled "15 years of Delicious Desserts". The first recipe was from Feb 2004 for these Double Chocolate Brownies.
Now, there are tons of brownie recipes out there but I decided to try this one, knowing Martha wouldn't let me down!
The brownie is chocolatey, fudgy and easy to make, as most brownies are. I almost added some espresso powder but resisted, deciding to just go with the original and tweek it later if needed. I think it would up the chocolate flavor so next time I'll put the espresso powder in.
But these are really moist and full of chocolate flavor. I also loved that they came out thicker than my usual brownies, due to using an 8 inch square pan, rather than the 9 inch I usually use.

Double Chocolate Brownies ( from Martha Stewart's Magazine "Living")

6 tbsp. unsalted butter
6 oz. semisweet chocolate ( cut into pieces )
1/4 cup best quality unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
3/4 cup AP flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8" square pan with parchment paper leaving a 2" overhang on 2 sides. ( I used heavy foil and it worked fine).Spray with cooking spray, set aside.

1. Melt together butter, chocolate and cocoa in a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Stir til smooth and remove from heat to cool slightly.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Put eggs, sugar and vanilla into a mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment and beat til pale, about 4 minutes.
4. Beat in melted chocolate mixture.
5. Add flour mixture, beating til just combined. Scrape sides of bowl with spatula as needed.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing out top with an offset spatula.
7. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or til cake tested comes out with a few crumbs. Do not overbake.
8. Cool in the pan about 15 minutes, then lift out of pan and cool completely on wire rack.
9. Cut into sizes you'd like. Brownies will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails