Monday, May 3, 2010

Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies

I was standing in the check out line at the supermarket the other day and since the line was moving slowly, I glanced down to the magazines and a "Taste of Home"Magazine caught my eye. I picked it up and started flipping through the pages when I saw this cookie.
It sounded great and I wanted to remember the ingredients..yea..like that was going to happen!
Fumbling around for a piece of scrap paper in my purse, I found a tiny piece and I actually had a pen, too! I just had enough time to jot down the ingredient list before I was next up to load my groceries for the cashier.
When I got home I rewrote the list and gave the recipe a try. It turned out really great. I love the coffee flavor, especially with the semisweet chocolate chips. Next time I make them, I'll add more chips. I didn't write down how many were supposed to be in the recipe so I just dumped in probably 3/4 cup. I'd go with a full cup next time.
Also, the original recipe called for instant coffee but I used espresso powder, since that's all I had, and I used less because it's stronger.

Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies

(Makes about 18 cookies.)

1 1/2 cup AP flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp.
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 cup espresso powder ( or 1/4 cup instant coffee)
1 tsp. very hot water (if using espresso) or 2 tsp. if using instant coffee
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

1. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
2. In mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars til light and fluffy.
3. In a small cup, stir the coffee powder with the hot water and pour into the butter/sugar mixture and beat on low speed.
4. Add the egg and vanilla and mix on low to combine.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Place rounded tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheet, spacing about 2" apart.
7. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes.
8. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails