Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hazelnut Chocolate Biscotti

I seem to be on a biscotti kick lately but I don't know why exactly. Probably because I can bake them ahead of time and they will keep very well for the weekend farmers market. It does get crazy towards the end of the week with the baking and anything I can get ready and out of the way is a good thing ! Oops...did I say a good thing?! OMG!.. that brings me to my Hazelnut Chocolate Biscotti I found in one of Martha Stewart's baking books. I'm not sure which book because I found it at the library and made photo copies of some of her recipes. Anywhoo..I did make some changes to the original, but not much really. After I had the dough mixed together I had some doubts about how it would turn out. It seemed wetter than other biscotti dough I have made before, but then I did add some Frangelico Liqueur. They do have a great hazelnut flavor and are nice and chocolatey. Give them a try, why don't ya' !


The recipe calls for gently pressing the logs to flatten. Mine didn't need pressing..they flattened on their own!


The recipe made about 2 1/2 dozen ( not 4 dozen as Martha's book states).


I have to admit, I did not brush the tops with egg white, nor did I sprinkle the tops with sugar. They do look a little grayish on top so perhaps the egg white would help deepen the chocolate color. Maybe next time !


Ok.... obviously this is not biscotti !!!!! But, come on... are these not the cutest puppies ..or what??!!! They belong to my oldest son, Jim and his wife. This is the second litter for mama Noah, a sweet lovable St. Bernard. This time she had 12 puppies. Had to throw that in !! They are only a few days old here.

On to the recipe:
Hazelnut Chocolate Biscotti
2 1/4 cups A.P. flour
1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
12 oz. ( approx. 2 cups) semi sweet chocolate chunks ( I used chocolate chips)
1 1/2 cups ( approx. 8 oz. ) blanched hazelnuts ( I bought already chopped hazelnuts and toasted them in the oven, then rubbed them a bit of try to remove some skins)
4 large whole eggs, plus 1 lg. egg white, lightly beaten ( I skipped this egg white step)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. Frangelico liqueur( my addition for a more pronounced hazelnut flavor).
sanding sugar for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350. Line a large sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a food processor, pulse the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, 1 cup chocolate chunks ( chips) and hazelnuts til chips and nuts are the size of peas. ( I don't own a processor yet so I just put the chopped nuts and chips in a bowl with the flour mixture).
In bowl of electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat the whole eggs and sugar til mixture holds a ribbon like trail on the surface for a few seconds when you raise the whisk. ( here's where I added the frangelico).
Switch to the paddle attachment.
With mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture and remaining 1 cup of chunks(chips) and beat til just combined.
Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into 3 equal pieces.( I just spooned the dough onto the parchment).
Shape each piece into logs 18" long ( mine were about 13" long).
Transfer to prepared baking sheet ( mine were already there!).
With the palm of your hand, gently press the logs to flatten slightly ( I skipped this step as they were already flattening on their own!).
Brush egg white over logs and sprinkle with sugar ( again, I skipped this step...boy I sure seemed lazy!!).
Bake, rotating pan halfway through, til logs are just firm to the touch about 20 - 24 minutes.( mine took a few minutes longer than 24 minutes).
Transfer to wire rack to cool about 20 minutes.
Place logs on a cutting board and slice with serrated knife 3/4" thick. Place slices back on sheet, cut side down and bake slices til firm to the touch and completely dry, about 10 - 12 minutes.
Can be kept in an air tight container at room temp. for up to a week.
'
















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails