Monday, July 6, 2009

Rhubarb Bread Pudding

Topped with a dollop of sour cream sweetened with sugar or honey.

Cranberry Orange scones with golden raisins cut up instead of bread.



Look at those beautiful colors !!


Before baking.


It has a nice crunchy top and with velvety pudding below !




Ok, I admit it...I lied ...well, just a little bit!! I couldn't resist making something rhubarb this morning so the first recipe I made was this wonderful rhubarb bread pudding. I have perused the internet for so many rhubarb recipes between last night and this morning my head is all in a tizzy!! and I can't remember where I originally saw this recipe but let me just tell you...you have to make it. It's that good!! I did make a few changes, can't just leave anything alone! As I don't usually have bread in the house, I dug into the freezer and found 3 cranberry orange scones and decided that using these would just make it so much better ( it did !). I also used 1/2 cup of half and half for part of the 1 1/2 cups of milk it calls for. I suggest adding 1/2 cup more rhubarb. It needed it once I tasted it. I also added 1/2 tsp. ground ginger as many of the recipes I read used ginger with the rhubarb so it seemed a good spice to add. With every bite you get the tart flavor of the rhubarb with the not too sweet pudding and it's just heaven ! I suggest you try this one...it's really so good. Now, on to the rhubarb cookies. I actually found a recipe for them !! More on that later. Enjoy!!
Rhubarb Bread Pudding
1 1/2 cups milk ( I used 1 cup whole milk and 1/2 cup half & half)
2 eggs - beaten
4 slices of toast - cubed ( I used 3 large scones )
1 1/2 cups rhubarb - sliced 1/2" thick
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger ( my addition )
In a large mixing bowl, mix eggs and milk. Add toast ( scones ) , rhubarb, sugar and spices. Pour into a buttered casserole dish. Mine was approx. 6" x 10" dish. Bake for 1 hour @ 350. Let cool about one hour to be room temp. or refridgerate if you like it cold. A dollop of sour cream sweetened with sugar or honey or ice cream would be just fine !

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails