Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Pumpkin Pecan Biscotti

I decided to try one of the recipes again that didn't work for me last Friday. I figured that if I took my time that perhaps it wasn't so much the recipe as..well,... me who screwed up!! I was right...it was me!! But I have to admit that making some changes in the baking time and log sizes allowed this Pumpkin Pecan Biscotti recipe to work...finally!!
It has a nice subtle pumpkin pie kind of flavor and the addition of the toasted pecans was my idea. I just love nuts in cookies and pecans and pumpkin seemed to be a good combo. Leave out the nuts if you don't care for them or you can certainly add other things like, white chocolate chips, semi sweet chocolate chips, craisins, whatever!! So, go ahead and give it a try. I added my notes along the way to be sure your biscotti comes out perfect!!

Pumpkin Pecan Biscotti
Preheat oven to 350.

Sift the following ingredients in a large bowl:
2 1/2 cups AP flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Pinch of ginger
Pinch of cloves
Pinch of salt

In medium sz. bowl whisk:
2 eggs
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp. vanilla

Add 1/2 cup toasted pecans( or whatever you choose).

1. Pour pumpkin mixture and add in's into dry ingredients and stir with heavy spoon. The mixture will seem very crumbly and dry.(Don'y worry, it comes together once you use your hands to combine).
2. With floured hands, lightly knead dough in the bowl til it's nicely combined.
3. If you want smaller biscotti, divide dough in half and with floured hands, place 2 logs onto a baking sheet lined with parchment. If you want larger biscotti, just make one log.
4. Ok, here's the tricky part. Make sure that the log is only 1/2" high. This is important because if it's thicker, your biscotti will not be fully cooked along the top. (At least this was my unfortunate experience). Shape into whatever size rectangle you want, just remember to keep the 1/2" height. (They will rise and spread while baking).
5. Bake about 30 minutes for the smaller size and a bit longer for the larger size. Be sure they are nice and firm when pressed before taking out of oven. ( again, if not, they may be undercooked along the top).
6. Let them cool for 15 minutes. Lower oven temp. to 300.
7. Slice , using a serrated knife, about 1/2" thick.
8. Place slices back onto baking sheet and bake again for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails