Friday, September 18, 2009

Trail Mix Cookies

Remembering back to last week at this time of day, I was so frazzled and stressed because I had decided to try some new recipes on a day I should know to reserve only for baking my regular "line up" of treats. So I did learn from my mistake, however, and I am happy to announce I owe it all to one word..yup.. just one little word...planning!!
It so happens that tomorrow I have not just one market to do but 2 !! And I'm still way ahead of schedule!! And I owe it all to planning my week and spacing myself.
Ok, so much for my idle ramblings!! Let's get to the cookies!!
I found this recipe when I was perusing the internet and, you know how you just keep clicking on one thing, then another and finally find something that interests you? Well, that's how it happened. They are originally called Cowboy Cookies from this site. I made them a few weeks back and they were great but as usual, I wanted to put my own spin on them so I came up with my version of Trail Mix Cookies. They are sweet and salty if you use nuts and raisins but you can use your own mix of favorite add ins and they will still be great!
These would be lots of fun to make with your kids because the little ones can get in there and form the balls of dough and have a great time!! (My kids, being 21 and 32 yrs. old however, aren't into the making...just the eating!!)
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, using a heavy spoon or fork. The mixture will be very crumbly.

Throw you favorite add ins into the mix and stir with the fork or heavy spoon for a while, switching to your hands toward the end.

With damp hands, form into balls, either 1 1/2" in size for smaller size cookies or about 2" ( 2 oz. ) in size for larger cookies.


Once they cool, they have a wonderful crackly top, with crunchy edges and chewy insides and just the best flavor. So go, bake , eat and enjoy!
Trail Mix Cookies
Preheat oven to 350.Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Whisk in large bowl:
1 1/3 cups AP flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
Mix in small bowl:
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup( one stick) butter, melted slightly in micro and cooled
1 tsp. vanilla
1 - 1 1/4 cup total add ins: Use what you like such as: Semi sweet choc. chips, white choc. chips, M&M's, peanuts, coconut, raisins, pecans or any kind of nut you like or even crushed pretzels? Just don't use more than 1 and 1/4 cup total. If you do it makes the ratio of dough to add ins too much and you wind up with left over add ins at the bottom of the bowl.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with heavy spoon or fork. Add the add ins and stir using your slightly dampened hands. Form into balls in either 1 1/2 " or 2" size, again wetting your hands slightly so the dough doesn't stick to your fingers.
Place 2 " apart on baking sheets and bake 11-12 minutes for small and 12-13 for larger size. They should be slightly golden on the edges but still look a little moist in the center when you take them out of the oven. Let them cool on sheets about 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks. As they cool, they flatten and crackle a bit.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails