This was torn out of my son Kris's 6th grade school newletter. (Update, Kris is in his last year at Temple.) It's under the heading, "After School Snacks".
Anyway, the recipe is, you guessed it, quick and easy. It really is and it's darn good, too!
I threw it together early this morning, before the 90 degree temps. made my kitchen unbearable.
You can get away with omitting the glaze, but I think it adds a nice look to the bars. So give them a try!
Chocolate Chip Dream Bars
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup AP flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. AP flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts ( I used pecans)
Chocolate Glaze ( recipe follows)
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Mix 1/2 cup brown sugar and butter in a medium bowl. Stir in 1 cup flour.
2. Press into an ungreased 13" x 9" pan.
3. Bake 10 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, mix eggs, 1 cup brown sugar and vanilla.
5. Stir in 2 tbsp. flour, baking powder and salt.
6. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts. Spread over baked layer.
7. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or til golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
8. Drizzle with chocolate glaze. Refridgerate til firm, about 1 hour.
1 tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. cocoa powder
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. butter
2 tbsp. boiling water
1 cup confectioners sugar
1. Cook cocoa, butter and water in small saucepan over low heat, stirring til thin and smooth. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in confectioners sugar til smooth.
Drizzle over bars. ( I placed the glaze into a small plastic baggie and cut a tiny corner off to drizzle.