Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

After making that wonderful French Lemon Yogurt Cake, using oil and yogurt, I decided I wanted to find a muffin recipe also using oil and yogurt, and lemon. I thought about a lemon poppy seed combo and checked out a few recipes online and came up with one that sounded worth trying.
So yesterday I put the recipe together and baked a few muffins, in the extra large size..Texas sized..I believe they're called! Guess everything's bigger in Texas!
The recipe was basically good, but not yet great. The original recipe called for lemon flavored yogurt but I couldn't find any in the supermarket so I bought plain, whole milk yogurt. Because I wasn't using lemon flavored yogurt, I needed to up the lemon flavoring so I added more lemon zest and some lemon extract.
The muffins turned out great, nice and moist from the oil, with an ample amount of lemony taste. And they're easy to make, just combine the dry and the wet ingredients in 2 separate bowls, combine the 2 and bake. If you want a glaze, see my note at the end of the recipe.
So, in one bowl, combine your wet ingredients.
Then in another bowl, combine your dry ingredients.

Then add the dry to the wet and stir til just combined..don't overmix.


Scoop the batter into your prepared muffin cups. I used the extra large, Texas sized ones but you can, of course, use regular sized muffin cups.
Bake..cool..eat..enjoy!

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

(Makes 6 extra large sized or 12 regular sized)

2 cups AP flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup poppy seeds ( I used a little less)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk plain yogurt ( If you do use lemon flavored yogurt, omit the extract and cut down the zest to 1 tbsp.)
2 tbsp. lemon zest
1 tsp. lemon extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil ( I used canola)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin cups with baking spray or line with paper liners.
1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a large bowl, mix eggs, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon extract and oil.
3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and stir just til combined. Don't overmix.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 full.
5. Bake 20 minutes or til a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let the muffins cool in the pan about 5 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
**Note: You could add a glaze to the top by heating 3 tablespoons of white sugar with 1/3 cup lemon juice. When the sugar is dissolved, poke the muffins all over the top and spoon or brush the glaze on the muffin tops.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails