Thursday, April 22, 2010

Two Lemon Yogurt Cakes

I resisted calling the title to this post " The Tale of Two Lemon Cakes"! A little corny, I thought.
I found myself, once again, with an overabundance of lemons. The last time this occured I made this, which was amazing! Dangerously delicious but amazing. No no, we can't have that lying around again, calling me everytime I open the fridge door!
So, I set out to find a lemon cake recipe. It seems like Ina Garten's Lemon Yogurt Cake recipe was very popular so I kind of felt I wanted to try to find another.
Well, I checked out this one since I made her Banana Bread and it was the best! So I felt I was a sure thing.
This cake, called "French Style Yogurt Cake with Lemon" or "Gateau au Citron", is apparently, an old French classic cake. The measurements are in "jars" which she states that 1 jar equals about 1/2 cup. So I decided to give this one a try..but I thought it might be kind of interesting to try Ina's anyway, just to compare. And, guess what, I liked this French classic one from Molly Wizenberg better.
The recipe called for a little more than other recipes of this type but it turned out great. It was moist and lemony and it actually didn't have an overly oily taste or texture. And with a cake of this type, I'm sure it will just get better the longer it stays..not that it's going to hang around too long here!
Ina's recipe, I had to halve, because I found myself almost out of flour, having just enough to make half the recipe. I used 2 mini loaf pans. Oddly enough, I found her recipe more oily than the French classic cake. It used less oil so I'm not quite getting why this occured, but I will try her recipe again, in all fairness, making the full amount next time. It was also more dense, which you can see in the photo above.
One last note, both recipes called for a glaze but I omitted this so I could really taste just the cake part.

For the French Classic Lemon Yogurt Cake, combine the yogurt, eggs and sugar in a large bowl.
Mix flour, baking powder and lemon zest in another bowl ...


And add this dry mixture to the yogurt mixture, mixing just to combine.
Add the oil, carefully, and stir to combine it all..yes, it will eventually mix together!


Pour into your prepared pan and bake til springy to the touch.

I love how the sides are a deep golden brown..so good!


Now you can glaze it.. or sprinkle powdered sugar over it ..or place a dollop of whipped cream on top..or make a fruity syrup to pour over it..or..just cut a big slice and scarf it down with some milk! The possibilities are endless!! And delicious!


French Style Lemon Yogurt Cake (adapted from Orangette)

Cake:

1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups AP unbleached flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt ( my addition)
2 tsp. lemon zest
scant 1/2 cup canola oil
Glaze:
Juice of 2 lemons
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Butter and line with parchment paper a 9" cake pan. Preheat oven to 350.

1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, eggs and sugar, stirring til well blended.
2. In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder and lemon zest together.
3. Add this flour mixture to the egg/sugar/yogurt mixture and stir to combine.
4. Add the oil and stir carefully at first. The oil kind of sits on top when you begin to stir this mixture and you have to be careful it doesn't splash out of the bowl..and on to you! Once you continue stirring, it will eventually come together into a smooth batter!
5. Pour batter into your prepared pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes.
6. Check for doneness when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and when the cake feels springy to the touch. Do not overbake!
Cool on wire rack 20 minutes, then turn the cake out of the pan and allow to cool completely before glazing.
Glaze:
Combine juice and sugar in a small bowl and spoon it over the cake.


1 comment:

  1. I've tried one of Ina Garten's lemon yogurt cake recipes, she has two posted. The recipe I used made just one loaf. For some reason it took almost 30 mins longer than the recipe stated, about 1hr 20 mins total for an 8 x 4.5 loaf pan. But, it was very good, had a lemon simple syrup which was poured over the finished cake while still warm. This amped up the lemon flavor, and made it very moist. I just bought some lemons, so I may try your preference, the Gateau au Citron. Thanks for sharing. From another baker in Bucks Co.. Lois

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails