Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Strawberry Bread

I can't seem to get my fill of strawberries these days. With every trip to the supermarket, I bring home a container or two. So when I went looking for an interesting cake recipe, I wanted one to include strawberries and I came across this one from my "America's Best Lost Recipes" Cookbook by the editors of "Cooks Country Magazine". It's actually called "Mama Honey's Strawberry Bread". It's a kind of tea cake type of bread, or a sweet bread.
As I read the recipe, one thing that I noticed was that it used quite a large amount of cinnamon. I wasn't too sure about the flavors of cinnamon with the strawberries. In fact, as you see from the photo, because of all this cinnamon, the bread came out a darker color.
I would have preferred a strawberry bread with a lighter, more golden yellow color...more like Spring! It tasted really good though. It was nice and moist and the strawberries pieces really did provide moist pockets, as they stated in the book. But I still think the cinnamon was too strong a flavor. I think if I make it again, I would leave out the cinnamon, add some vanilla extract and some lemon or maybe orange zest to brighten the flavor and color.
And one last note..as usual, I halved the recipe, which is really easy to do and that made one loaf. I will give you the recipe to make 2 loaves, however.

Hull and chop the strawberries. Then toast and chop the pecans.
Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Then whisk the eggs, sugar and oil in a medium bowl and pour into the dry mixture and stir til well blended.

Stir in the berries and nuts..


And pour into your prepared loaf pans and bake about 55 minutes.


Strawberry Bread ( from "America's Best Lost Recipes Cookbook")
Makes 2 loaves
3 cups AP flour
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 1/4 cups pecans, toasted and chopped
Preheat oven to 325. Place rack in middle postiion. Grease and flour two 9" x 5" loaf pans.
1. Whisk flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
2. Whisk eggs, suagr and oil in a medium bowl.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg mixture to the well and stir til well blended.
4. Stir in the strawberries and pecans.
5. Scrape batter into prepared pans and bake approx. 55 to 60 minutes or til a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool in pans 10 minutes, then turn bread out onto a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
The bread can be store in the refridgerator up to 3 days. I'm not sure how well it would freeze because of the strawberries.( they don't mention freezing in the book.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails